Dystonia Diary

This is what it's like to have cervical dystonia - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Actually, there's nothing good about it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Latest appointment

I saw my doctor for a follow-up yesterday. It went well, as they always do. I told him about the new muscle weakness that causes my head to lean down and to the left more than before, and the increased pain in my left shoulder. He said that it's a fine line between using enough Botox for pain management, but not too much to cause muscle weakness. I told him it was a nuisance but not a major problem. He said I may need more Botox on the left side. I'll be surprised if the insurance company authorises more Botox so soon. I should be able to get by with aspirin and Ben-Gay, but as long as the muscles on the right side of my neck are weak, it'll be straining the muscles on the left side.

Ah, the joys of Botox. :-)

In spite of all the weird effects of the Botox, I'm doing a lot better than I was before. My doctor has done me a lot of good. I'm not even close to being "back to (pre-dystonia) normal", but I know I never will be. As long as I'm relatively pain-free, and functional enough to keep working, I'm happy. Relatively happy, anyway. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home